A few weeks back, I stumbled across this pin and I thought “Oh my, I must do this!”. I love keeping cards, and looking back on them and seeing the kind things friends said, and the photos and how much people have changed every year. What a neat way to keep them organized! Today, I sat down real quick and tossed something together. I knew I wanted mine a little more fun and decorative, and this is what I came up with!
Cute, eh? I had every intention of making a full project out of this. I had other papers pulled out I was ready to use. But after adding the striped paper, I rather liked the look of the cardboard with that simple paper. So, I kept it easy-peasy (I really didn’t have as much time as I would have liked anyways, probably would have ended up an abandoned project had I tried to really do some serious scrapping techniques lol)
I took a few photos of the steps used to make it. Excuse the poor lighting, it was already dark out and I didn’t want to wait til tomorrow to do it (cuz I may not find time! lol)
I took an 8.5 x 11 piece of chipboard for the front and back, but you could easily use a cereal box or box from something you unwrapped for Christmas if you don’t have any. Just glue some pretty paper to the front of it!
I measured my cards – the widest was 5″ and the tallest was 8″. So I left the 8.5″ part alone and measured to 5.5″. If you don’t want the flap – you would cut it now. BUT if you want a flap, there’s a couple more steps.
Measure the stack of cards. I am still expecting several cards so I wanted to allow 1″ of thickness for the flap. Measure 1″ from your 5.5″ (or however wide your widest card is of course). Then I added 2″ for the actual front part of the flap. Hope that makes sense. It should look something like this once you have folded it.
And something like this:
Then I cut a piece of paper 8.5″x4″ and glued it down like so:
Next, I used a 1″ circle punch to cut a piece of red cardstock. (If you don’t have a circle punch, just cut a square or odd shape). Took some baker’s twine and glued it a little bit in a circle like so:
Next, used a cropodile (love that thing!) to attach the circle & twine to the book cover (with the glued part faceing down)
Did the same thing with that snowflake on the other side. If you don’t have a snowflake, you could use another circle or square or whatever! The numbers I cut out of vinyl (sized 2″ of the Don Juan Cartridge in case you wanted to know) but you could use regular paper or cardstock, or even stickers!
I used 2 of the 1″ book rings (available in just about any craft store – and even some walmarts) to bind it after punching holes in the cover and the cards.
Somewhere along there I distressed the edges. I love the grungy look.
Here’s what the back looks like – super simple.
I plan on adding some ribbons to the rings later, but I haven’t unpacked that box yet from moving, so for now this is how it’ll stay!
And that’s it! Feel free to ask any questions if you have any that I didn’t answer. Told ya’ll before I am not the best at tutorials lol! If you make one please link it, I’d love to see!
EDIT: As requested, here is what the inside of it looks like:
AND I found some ribbon! YAY! So now it is even cuter =)
AND, since I know alot of my followers do not have alot of the supplies I have, I made a simpler version for last years cards (once I find that box lol!) But here is what it would look like without the flap to close it. This literally took me less than 10 minutes!